Coastal zone management represents a core focus area for the company, and much of our past work has been focused in the coastal zone, notably the estuarine and marine environments.
In South Africa, the introduction of the Integrated Coastal Zone Management Act (2008) provides the legislative framework within which future developments in the coastal zone will be undertaken. While the act is relatively broad-based, the strong emphasis on equitable access, special management areas and zoning, regulation, and maintaining ecosystem functioning provides a strong framework within which to develop management measures. In this regard, the company has core experience in developing management protocols and policy development.
Specialists have made input into the National Coastal management policy programme, and the company has developed Provincial Coastal Zone Management Plans for both the Northern and Eastern Cape Provinces (DEAT-DFID). More recently, we have focused on the development of Estuary Management Plans (CAPE Programme / World Bank), and are currently developing a management plan for the greater Addo National Park Marine Protected Area (SanParks-WWF).
- BASELINE STUDY ON THE UTILISATION OF LIVING MARINE RESOURCES IN THE EASTERN CAPE PROVINCE
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR ALGOA BAY
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MARINE RESEARCH AND MONITORING PROGRAM, GREATER ADDO ELEPHANT NATIONAL PARK
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN ESTUARY MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR THE GAMTOOS ESTUARY IN THE CAPE FLORISTIC REGION, SOUTH AFRICA
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN ESTUARY MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR THE GOURITZ ESTUARY IN THE CAPE FLORISTIC REGION, SOUTH AFRICA
- EASTERN CAPE COASTAL MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME
- FEASIBILITY OF A COASTAL MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME FOR COUNTRIES OF THE WESTERN INDIAN OCEAN
- GALAXIAS DISTRIBUTION MAPS
- GREATER ADDO ELEPHANT NATIONAL PARK (MARINE)
- INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR BENGUELA LARGE MARINE ECOSYSTEM PROGRAMME
- INPUT TO THE COASTAL MANAGEMENT POLICY PROGRAMME GREEN PAPER
- NORTHERN CAPE PROVINCE COASTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN
- ONGOING ADVICE ON FISHERIES AND CONSERVATION OF THE TRISTAN DA CUNHA GROUP AND GOUGH ISLAND (WORLD HERITAGE SITE) AS PARTOF THE GOUGH ISLAND WILDLIFE RESERVE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- SPATIAL STUDY OF ISSUES OF CONSERVATION IMPORTANCE IN THE GARDEN ROUTE COASTAL ZONE